New York has Gray’s Papaya
California has In-N-Out Burger
Missouri has Lion’s Choice
Texas. We have
It has occurred to me that some of you may not know what Buc-ee’s is. Bless your hearts.
Allow me the privilege of explaining this great institution to you:
Buc-ee’s (n) A) the greatest place on earth. An all encompassing road tripper’s haven. Place where one can shop for home décor, apparel, pet accessories, gas, fresh baked goods, freshly made fudge, homemade jerky, fountain drinks (with flavor shots!), coffee bar, and other staples.
B) A place that maintains the cleanest public restrooms in the country.
You can even get plants and garden essentials at this place! I am not exaggerating when I say it is any traveler’s great dream come true. Running late on a trip from San Antonio to Houston, and you forgot a gift for your hostess? Not a problem! You can grab a candle at Buc-ee’s. Forgot a leash for your puppy, and have no way to take him out whilst driving across the state? Buc-ee’s again to the rescue!
Here is my list of recommended items to obtain during your first trip:
- Beaver Nuggets. Who knows what these are made of. They are perfectly crunchy and taste like caramel popcorn laced with cocaine. Amaaazzing
- Freshly made fudge – you can sample as many as you want before deciding!
- A giant water bottle*
- A giant fountain drink (diet coke with a shot of vanilla is my beverage of choice)*
- If you don’t feel like coke, go with a nice big cup of coffee. They have the best creamer selection. ever. period.
- If you are lucky enough to stop off during a meal time, definitely order a sandwich with their homemade chips. So much better than anything else you will get on the road.
- Blueberry scones.
- Gummy candy. They have a massive assortment. *
I also like to use the restroom and then go sample the lotion selection. It just adds a touch of comfort for once I’m back on the road.
So, if you happen to be driving through Texas, and see the signs (there will be many leading up to the exit), make a promise to yourself now to stop. It is worth the adventure!
And if you don’t leave feeling refreshed and ready to hit the road again, then I will kindly take those Beaver Nuggets off your hands for you.
*** You might be thinking “this seems like regular gas station items: water, fountain drinks, coffee, and gummy candy”. I assure you there is NO way to compete with the Buc-ees brand candy. Its only downfall is the happiness hangover you experience once you are back on the road with a belly full of gummy candy.
Author’s Note: I realize this post has nothing to do with my baby bucket list. I just felt I was doing everyone a great disservice by not recognizing the importance of this place in my life. I think it goes without saying that I will stop at Buc-ee’s even if I have a Brangelina size pack of children with me. This is one thing I’ll never have to give up!